Have you got a new gmail or Gsuite account? And would you like to transfer emails from the old account to your new one? If yes, then this post is for you where I will tell you how to complete this migration successfully.
You can leave your old account completely after moving the emails to the new account. Or if you wish, you can keep the old account active in case you want to refer back to your old emails in the future.
There are two simple steps to be followed to initiate the migration process.
Step 1: Get the old account ready
- Sign in to your old Gmail account, go to ‘Settings’ page and then select ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ tab.
- In POP download section, select ‘Enable POP for all emails’
- Under the same section, you will see a question ‘When messages are accessed with POP’ with drop-down options. Choose the right option which suits you best. Based on your selection, once the new account fetches the emails from the old account, they can be left in the inbox as is, mark them read, archive them or delete them.
- Click on ‘Save changes’ button
- Log out from the account or open a different browser.
Step 2. Migrate emails to new gmail account
- Sign in to your new Gmail account, and go to ‘Settings’ page.
- Select the ‘Accounts and Import’ tab this time.
- Under ‘Check email from other accounts’ section, click on ‘Add an email account’ link.
- In the small window that pops-up, enter the old email address and hit ‘Next’ button.
- Choose ‘Import emails from my other account (POP3)’.
- On next screen, check your email address, enter username and password,
- Choose ‘pop.gmail.com’ in POP Server dropdown and Port – 995.
- Check or uncheck ‘Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server’ as per your needs.
- Always check ‘Always use SSL’ and ‘Label incoming messages’ checkboxes. You can also create a new label for the new gmail account to which all the retrieved emails be assigned.
- Click ‘Add Account’ button.
Note: In case, you are experiencing issues in validating this step, you will need to loosen up your security settings in the old account and try again.
On the next screen, you will be asked if you want to be able to send the emails as firstname.lastname@example.org. This applies when you still want to reply to some emails with old email address. If choose to do so, you can follow the instructions and add the alternate email address.
All setup now. The Gmail will take some time to complete this process which may take several hours and at the same time you can access your new account and notice some old emails coming in periodically.
This process is also applicable for Gsuite accounts as well. So feel free to perform the migration by following the instructions above.
If you are stuck anywhere in the process and needs some help, please feel free to write your concern in the comments section below.